Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Getting Ready for Christmas

As you can gather from the title of this post, it is a little late. But, how much do you really expect from a mother of four with one on the way? No, that's just an excuse... truth is, I've just not taken the time to sit down and blog. I had a few spare minutes just now while my husband is putting youngins to bed and I figured I would share with you a few little things we did before Christmas.
 
First of all, the two oldest (5 and 4) are old enough to remember what happens around Christmas-time. They were super excited and could not wait to open gifts, eat a lot of junk food, and things of that nature. (Of coarse we have a wonderful meal at Christmas and not just "junk", however my kids, like any other, prefer to fill up on pie and cookies rather than turkey and green beans) Anyhoo, as I was saying, they were really excited! So, I was in a particularly good mood one day, and thought I could handle a little craft time. Complete with PAINT and everything. So, I laid out some garbage bags on the table, removed the three oldests' shirts, handed them some paintbrushes and strips of paper and let them go at it. My sister helped me tear the paper into even strips before giving them to the kids. The kids picked out the colors of the paper, and I let them paint whatever they wanted. As you can see, there was no rhyme or reason to what they painted, but they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. And that made the mess completely worth it.
 You know, to be honest, after the fact, I think they had just as much fun looking forward to the next day and tearing off another strip as they did doing the actual "project". Every day, they reminded me to take one off and asked, "how many days now mommy." I'm glad I did this little project with them, it may just become a new tradition of ours. The only thing I regret is not remembering to take pictures during the project. Oh, well.
 Next, I just thought I would share a picture of our stockings hung with care over the fireplace. The missing hook is technically where my stocking would go...but, I don't have one. I also put our nativity set on the mantle, and that's where I chose to put our Christmas cards this year. Decorating for Christmas was extravagantly simple this year. Hopefully next year we will be able to do a little more decorating since we should be more settled into a routine and not still trying to figure out where "regular" things in the house belong, let alone decorations. (I didn't even decorate for Thanksgiving at all this year, and I LOVE to decorate for Thanksgiving.)
 And below is just a close-up of our nativity set. I didn't have one for years after we were married because I just hadn't found one I liked. They were all too gaudy or just ugly or something. Then I saw this willow tree set at Cracker Barrel, and I loved it. My dearest mother-in-law bought it for me for Christmas that year. I was tickled to death when I opened it. I think I may want to add to it, there were some other pieces that "came" with it (sold separately of course) and I'm not sure I necessarily want those pieces, but we'll see.
Well, that's about it for now. I reckon I'm gonna go spend some time with hubby now.

No comments:

Post a Comment