Monday, February 18, 2013

Daddy's Valentines

The kiddos were somewhat excited about valentine's day this year, so we got together and decided to make Daddy a little valentine. I wanted each of their pictures to be in it, and so as to not make it HUGE to fit all of their pics, we put it together kind of book style. Above is the front cover. (which unfortunately, I wiped it with my hand before the embossing dried thus smearing the words "day Daddy") Below is Levi's page. He wrote his name himself, looking at a copy of it I had written before. He had the tinciest bit of help with his "e", but not much. And each of the kids "decorated" their page themselves (i.e. they chose what stamp they wanted, what color, and where to put it. I helped ink it and used the embossing gun for the ones that needed embossed. They did the marker and stickers themselves.)
 
Next, is Lydia's page. She also wrote her name herself, in the same method as Levi, looking at a copy of it. Being a girl, she is doing very well in penmanship, and didn't need any help forming her letters. but, she also didn't have any "hard" letters like "e". And decorated it herself as well. (we each took turns)
And then, we have Ephraim's page. I wrote his name for him, and he stamped over it himself =) I don't think he decorated his page as much as the other two, but I think it's because of mommy's patience and not because he didn't want to. I think they all would have stamped all day if I would have let them.
Below is Amos' page. I decorated it for him, but he came up with that marvelous smile all by himself. He was really cheesin it for the camera.
And last, but not least we have Adlai's page. I decorated hers for her also =) And yes, that is what we have decided to name her. Adlai June, that is if we don't change our mind, after all it is not on the birth certificate yet. I don't think we will though. As far as the pronunciation. It's kind of hard to explain. The name Adlai is found in 1 Chronicles 27:29. Adlai is one of David's chief herdsman, and the grandfather of Elisha.  There is not much else I know about him. Yes, it is a males name, but we like it for our girl. In a lot of  places it is translated as meaning "God has Judged". In the Strong's Concordance following the name it is written (ad'-la-i) which I took to be pronounced "add-lay-eye" (yes, I am aware that is not the grammatically correct way to write that, but I don't know how on my computer.) However, when you look it up in Hebrew the pronunciation is ad-lah-ee. As of now we have decided to pronounce it add-lay-eye. but, like I said we could change our mind...you never know with us.
And on the back cover I just wrote "The End" with the date. (obviously) And, there's really not much more to say about that.

 
I made Ben a little something for valentine's day this year as well. At first, I wasn't sure how exactly I was going to do it. I had saw the phrase on another sign somewhere else, and thought the phrase was cute, but the sign itself was hideous. It was like a mixture of primitive/ Roman/ Victorian. And while all these may be ok themselves they do not make a pretty mixture let me tell ya. So, long story short, I decided to just make one myself. I went to the flea market and bought a pre-made cabinet door. It was still natural wood so I could do pretty much what I wanted with it, and I don't have the tools to make the actual "door" myself. So, I had intended to paint it, however, my husband doesn't really care for painted wood he prefers a stained/natural look. So then, how to put the letters on. I am unaware of a way to paint letters over stain and keep them from peeling off. I googled it and you-tubed it and found nothing, so what do I do? Then, I remembered my sister's wood burning kit. I made a "stencil" if you will out of paper by printing out the words and cutting each letter out then measuring to make sure they were evenly spaced and traced them onto the wood. Then, used the wood burner to make the words, then stained last. (I was afraid that if I stained before the wood burning, it would not take, or I would catch it on fire.)

 
I was a little worried the words would not show up after I stained it, Ben's preference is dark stain, so when I picked out the stain color I tried to get it as dark as I could without being too dark... I was still worried though. After I put the stain on though, you can see the words perfectly fine, if not even better than when it was "natural" wood. I am personally pleased with the end result, and Ben seems to be too, and that's all that matters. In one way it seems a little plain to me, but Ben says he likes it the way it is. So we'll leave it at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment